ANL 30.68 Increased By ▲ 1.83 (6.34%)
ASC 14.94 Decreased By ▼ -0.21 (-1.39%)
ASL 23.90 Decreased By ▼ -0.25 (-1.04%)
AVN 92.00 Decreased By ▼ -5.95 (-6.07%)
BOP 9.14 Decreased By ▼ -0.16 (-1.72%)
BYCO 10.25 Decreased By ▼ -0.10 (-0.97%)
DGKC 135.60 Increased By ▲ 0.10 (0.07%)
EPCL 50.00 Increased By ▲ 0.02 (0.04%)
FCCL 24.62 Decreased By ▼ -0.54 (-2.15%)
FFBL 24.25 Decreased By ▼ -0.97 (-3.85%)
FFL 15.60 Decreased By ▼ -0.44 (-2.74%)
HASCOL 10.74 Decreased By ▼ -0.33 (-2.98%)
HUBC 85.20 Increased By ▲ 0.20 (0.24%)
HUMNL 7.35 Decreased By ▼ -0.35 (-4.55%)
JSCL 24.85 Decreased By ▼ -0.90 (-3.5%)
KAPCO 37.85 Increased By ▲ 0.40 (1.07%)
KEL 4.15 Decreased By ▼ -0.02 (-0.48%)
LOTCHEM 14.78 Decreased By ▼ -0.35 (-2.31%)
MLCF 46.60 Decreased By ▼ -0.58 (-1.23%)
PAEL 38.25 Decreased By ▼ -1.15 (-2.92%)
PIBTL 11.80 Decreased By ▼ -0.24 (-1.99%)
POWER 10.50 Decreased By ▼ -0.15 (-1.41%)
PPL 90.55 Decreased By ▼ -0.45 (-0.49%)
PRL 26.10 Decreased By ▼ -0.59 (-2.21%)
PTC 8.95 Decreased By ▼ -0.10 (-1.1%)
SILK 1.40 Decreased By ▼ -0.05 (-3.45%)
SNGP 38.10 Decreased By ▼ -0.65 (-1.68%)
TRG 141.10 Decreased By ▼ -4.60 (-3.16%)
UNITY 31.50 Decreased By ▼ -1.40 (-4.26%)
WTL 1.57 Decreased By ▼ -0.04 (-2.48%)
BR100 4,936 Decreased By ▼ -22.94 (-0.46%)
BR30 25,403 Decreased By ▼ -330.65 (-1.28%)
KSE100 45,865 Decreased By ▼ -100.6 (-0.22%)
KSE30 19,173 Decreased By ▼ -26.07 (-0.14%)
Business & Finance

PTI Govt conducting ‘highest’ external Debt Repayment & Servicing: Hammad

  • The federal minister said that the PTI government is conducting the highest external debt repayment and servicing ever done by any government
12 Dec 2020

While responding to the newly released annual report on foreign economic assistance (FY 2019-20), Federal Minister for Industries and Production Hammad Azhar highlighted that during FY19-20, the present government paid $10.4 billion on account of debt servicing of external public loans.

This also includes a principal payment of $8.5bn and $1.9bn in interest payments.

The federal minister said that the PTI government is conducting the highest external debt repayment and servicing ever done by any government. “Despite this high debt retirement, pace of external debt rise is slower than during the last years of PML-N government, and forex reserves are also rising,” he said in a tweet post on Saturday.

As per the Ministry of Economic Affairs Division (EAD) annual report on foreign economic assistance (FY 2019-20), Pakistan's total external public debt stood at $77.9 billion as of June 30, 2020 compared to $73.4 billion a year ago, registering 6 percent growth,.

It noted that as of June 30, 2020, 70 percent of total external public debt consists of loans at fixed interest rates while remaining 30 percent loans are obtained on floating interest rates.

The report further stated that during fiscal year 2019-20, the government of Pakistan signed new agreements worth $10.447 billion with various development partners and foreign commercial banks as compared to $ 8.4 billion a year before, registering growth of 23.8 percent. Under the new agreements, the development partners are likely to disburse the committed amount in the next five to six years.

Out of this, 99 percent of the new commitments were for the loans and rest of the 1 percent was for the grants commitments. Out of total new agreements, $6.791 billion worth of financing agreements were signed with multilateral development partners, $3.463 billion with foreign commercial banks and $193 million with bilateral development partners.