AVN 63.71 No Change ▼ 0.00 (0%)
BOP 8.77 No Change ▼ 0.00 (0%)
CHCC 134.55 No Change ▼ 0.00 (0%)
DCL 10.01 No Change ▼ 0.00 (0%)
DGKC 108.01 No Change ▼ 0.00 (0%)
EFERT 64.27 No Change ▼ 0.00 (0%)
EPCL 41.21 No Change ▼ 0.00 (0%)
FCCL 21.00 No Change ▼ 0.00 (0%)
FFL 15.10 No Change ▼ 0.00 (0%)
HASCOL 15.05 No Change ▼ 0.00 (0%)
HBL 130.50 No Change ▼ 0.00 (0%)
HUBC 81.75 No Change ▼ 0.00 (0%)
HUMNL 7.35 No Change ▼ 0.00 (0%)
JSCL 24.29 No Change ▼ 0.00 (0%)
KAPCO 28.49 No Change ▼ 0.00 (0%)
KEL 3.70 No Change ▼ 0.00 (0%)
LOTCHEM 11.71 Decreased By ▼ -0.01 (-0.09%)
MLCF 41.98 No Change ▼ 0.00 (0%)
OGDC 93.20 No Change ▼ 0.00 (0%)
PAEL 32.90 No Change ▼ 0.00 (0%)
PIBTL 12.76 No Change ▼ 0.00 (0%)
PIOC 95.00 No Change ▼ 0.00 (0%)
POWER 9.72 Decreased By ▼ -0.03 (-0.31%)
PPL 83.50 No Change ▼ 0.00 (0%)
PSO 200.02 No Change ▼ 0.00 (0%)
SNGP 56.52 No Change ▼ 0.00 (0%)
STPL 13.15 No Change ▼ 0.00 (0%)
TRG 46.90 No Change ▼ 0.00 (0%)
UNITY 23.05 No Change ▼ 0.00 (0%)
WTL 1.04 No Change ▼ 0.00 (0%)
BR100 4,133 Decreased By ▼ -155.2 (-3.62%)
BR30 21,019 Decreased By ▼ -858.48 (-3.92%)
KSE100 39,888 Decreased By ▼ -1298.86 (-3.15%)
KSE30 16,750 Decreased By ▼ -546.72 (-3.16%)
COVID-19 TOTAL DAILY
World

COVID-19 has claimed far more lives than reported, according to study

  • According to a recent journal from the American Medical Association, a far greater proportion of the American population have died as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
17 Oct 2020

According to a recent journal report from the American Medical Association, a far greater proportion of the American population have died as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic; citing a discrepancy in the number of cases being reported.

The report cites that "for every two Americans that we know of who are dying of COVID-19, another American is dying", using data from the National Center for Health Statistics, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), and the Census Bureau.

The study found, through using data between March and July, that there were 225,530 "excess deaths" (20% higher than average number of deaths in the same time period). Excess deaths refer to the number of fatalities above what could be expected within a particular time period. Furthermore, 67% of the excess deaths were directly attributed to the pandemic, with the remaining 33% without a clear explanation - possibly due to a misreporting of any pandemic related deaths.

The study also gives an insight into an increased mortality rate, especially due to the changing public health dynamics in the midst of a global pandemic, which led to an increase in substance abuse, inhibited access to medical care, and a significant economic decline.