In an account that shocked the nation, Norwegian anti-Muslim fanatic Anders Behring Breivik described with a chilling calm on Friday how he methodically chased teenagers room by room and shot them dead on an island summer camp last year. Addressing a courtroom frozen in horror, Breivik said he shot most of his victims several times, using the first shot to take them down, then following up with a shot to the head.
His trial, now into its fifth day and due to last 10 weeks, has deeply traumatised Norway, one of the most tolerant and stable countries in Europe. Speaking intensely, the steely-eyed Norwegian described how his body tensed up as he fired his first shots at the ruling Labour Party's youth camp on Utoeya island. "I took the gun out and thought it was now or never, and it seemed like a year," he said. He described how he then went on his rampage, gunning down 69 people, most of them teenagers.
"When I make a follow up shot, his (victim's) cranium bursts and there are brains flowing out. I remember that very well," Breivik said in an unemotional, matter-of-fact tone. His victims, he said, appeared paralysed before he shot them. "I walk towards a group of 10 who have stopped. They have stopped running and just lie down. I go to them and shoot them all to the head. They were paralysed most likely." Victims' families have found it difficult to see Breivik using the trial as a pulpit to justify his views and violence.


















Comments
Comments are closed for this article.