BR100 Increased By (0.22%)
BR30 Increased By (0.87%)
KSE100 Increased By (0.25%)
KSE30 Increased By (0.22%)
AGHA 7.50 Decreased By ▼ -0.03 (-0.4%)
BECO 5.15 Increased By ▲ 0.04 (0.78%)
BML 60.60 Increased By ▲ 2.30 (3.95%)
BOP 34.58 No Change ▼ 0.00 (0%)
CNERGY 14.99 Increased By ▲ 1.31 (9.58%)
CSIL 6.36 Increased By ▲ 0.06 (0.95%)
FCCL 57.35 Decreased By ▼ -0.20 (-0.35%)
FFL 16.33 Decreased By ▼ -0.17 (-1.03%)
FNEL 1.19 Decreased By ▼ -0.01 (-0.83%)
KEL 7.52 Increased By ▲ 0.16 (2.17%)
KOSM 6.02 Increased By ▲ 0.04 (0.67%)
LOTCHEM 27.50 Decreased By ▼ -0.01 (-0.04%)
MLCF 102.00 Increased By ▲ 0.07 (0.07%)
NBP 204.50 Increased By ▲ 1.21 (0.6%)
NCPL 61.25 Increased By ▲ 0.78 (1.29%)
NPL 70.00 Increased By ▲ 0.20 (0.29%)
OGDC 319.00 Increased By ▲ 0.52 (0.16%)
PACE 11.00 Decreased By ▼ -0.12 (-1.08%)
PAEL 43.00 Increased By ▲ 0.14 (0.33%)
PIBTL 16.71 Decreased By ▼ -0.01 (-0.06%)
PPL 232.60 Increased By ▲ 1.98 (0.86%)
PRL 84.40 Increased By ▲ 7.67 (10%)
PTC 71.86 Increased By ▲ 0.68 (0.96%)
SSGC 27.07 Decreased By ▼ -0.03 (-0.11%)
TBL 10.10 Decreased By ▼ -0.18 (-1.75%)
TELE 8.54 Decreased By ▼ -0.02 (-0.23%)
TPL 23.29 Decreased By ▼ -0.30 (-1.27%)
TPLP 15.62 Increased By ▲ 0.17 (1.1%)
TREET 24.56 Increased By ▲ 0.05 (0.2%)
TRG 60.14 Increased By ▲ 0.05 (0.08%)

Troops shot dead rebels at an army recruitment centre in northern Afghanistan Sunday to end a day-long seige following two attacks by militants that killed at least 13 security personnel. The gunbattle between insurgents and security forces in Kunduz erupted after four militants armed with guns and suicide vests attacked the centre early Sunday, killing eight security personnel, officials said.
Two of the attackers were killed by security forces as the other pair occupied the facility throughout the day, officials said. "The fighting is over," Zemarai Bashary, an interior ministry spokesman told AFP in the capital, Kabul. He said the remaining two rebels had been gunned down by Afghan security forces, without giving further details.
Witnesses told AFP that the militants had exchanged fire with hundreds of Afghan and Nato-led US and German troops until dark. Four police officers and four soldiers were killed in the first hours of the attack, according to Afghan officials.
An AFP reporter on the site said hundreds of Afghan security forces and US and German troops, based in Kunduz as part of Nato's International Security Assistance Force, had sealed off the area, as helicopters hovered overhead.
In the capital, Kabul, two suicide bombers targeted an army bus, killing five military personal, defence ministry spokesman General Mohammad Zahir Azimi told AFP separately. Nine other people were injured in the Kabul bombing, he said.
The vehicle was on its daily run, driving staff from the Kabul military training centre to work, when two suicide attackers armed with automatic rifles opened fire, Azimi said.
"One of the suicide attackers was shot dead but the second managed to detonate his explosives strapped to his body, and martyred five of our personnel and wounded another nine," he said. The incident took place on Pul-e-charkhi road, which links the capital Kabul to Afghanistan's eastern provinces and runs on to the Pakistani border.

Copyright Agence France-Presse, 2010

Comments

Comments are closed for this article.