KARACHI: Sindh Minister for Information and Transport, Sharjeel Inam Memon has announced to provide plots to 700 remaining members of Karachi Press Club so as to resolve their residential problems. While visiting KPC after assuming the charge of Information Minister, Memon said that a summary would be moved in this regard so that the remaining members could get plots.
KPC President Fazil Jameeli, Secretary Rizwan Bhatti and other office-bearers were also present on the occasion. “PPP government strongly believes in freedom of press and as such has always worked to resolve the problems of journalist community to ensure that they are able to discharge their obligations with peace of mind,” Memon added.
He said that solution of problems of mediamen was our responsibility and it was no favour to media fraternity and we have never supported any adverse laws against journalists.
Provincial Minister appealed to all journalist bodies to get united and end their conflict so as resolve their problems in a better way. He said that journalists were given plots at Hawks Bay during the tenure of Shaheed Benazir Bhutto, after which they were also allotted plots during President Asif Ali Zardari’s tenure.
The minister when asked about the implementation of the Charter of Democracy, said that this historic document was signed by Shaheed Bibi and Nawaz Sharif and this is not an agreement of any individual or party but an important document for stability of democracy in which there is no place for personal enmity in politics.
“Yes, there can be political differences,” he opined.
He said that PTI had introduced the culture of hatred in politics. The sole purpose of which was to spread anarchy in the society and force different classes to fight among themselves.
He further said that inflation was a major problem and all parties in the government were working to tackle it. He said that Niazi government has toiled with the economy of the country and all indicators are pointing towards poor economic condition of the country.
In response to another question about the poor condition of transport in Karachi, the Information Minister said that the government has directed to activate the Orange Line by May 30.
Initially, 20 buses would ply on it. This will provide the best transportation facilities to the residents of Orangi Town. He said that Chairman Bilawal Bhutto Zardari, President Asif Ali Zardari and Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah had directed to resolve the issue of transport in Karachi on sustainable basis by giving it top priority.
He said that 240 buses for Karachi will arrive soon which will run on different routes of the city. When asked about Imran Khan’s style of politics, he said that Niazi is an ungrateful person and has harmed or degraded everyone who did him good and he is still doing the same.
Asked about the water crisis in the province, he said that at present Sindh is getting 48% less water from its share of water while Punjab is short of its share by 32%. He said that Sindh Chief Minister has spoken to the Prime Minister in this regard. “We do not want any favors but only our share of water as per the 1991 water agreement,” he added.
He said we want all the provinces to get their share of water under this agreement so that crop production is possible there as Pakistan is an agricultural country. He termed the impression that no work had been done in any sector in the last 13 years in the province, as misleading He said that the medical facilities in the province are exemplary where people from all over the country come for treatment in its medical centers.
In addition, there is an excellent network of roads throughout the province, providing better transportation facilities for those living in remote areas, he remarked. On a query pertaining to loadshedding in Sindh, the minister said that 16 hours long load shedding is being carried out in rural areas of Sindh and electricity being disconnected for months by Hesco and Sepco authorities.
He added that collective punishment is being extended to whole communities on wrongdoing of a single person as electricity of whole areas is being cut off for many months. It is illegal and unconstitutional. We have raised this issue on every forum.
He said he had personally filed a petition on the matter in the court of law pleading the court of standing orders to provide relief to public affected by the electric companies’ injustice. The provincial minister also stressed the need for closer ties between the media and the information department.
Copyright Business Recorder, 2022