(Karachi) Pakistan has strongly condemned the attack by Armenian forces on the Tovuz district of Azerbaijan on July 12, which resulted in several Azeri casualties.
In a statement, the Foreign Ministry said: "We extend our sincere condolences to the bereaved families."
It stated the unresolved conflict of Nagorno-Karabakh poses a serious threat to regional peace and security with far-reaching consequences.
Hər dəfə Pakistan söhbəti ilə məzələnirdik amma meydanda olan 2 ölkə bayrağından biri Pakistanın bayrağı idi. Bayrağı tutan da elə pakistanlılar idi. Daha sonra dəstək olan türkiyəlilər də var idi. pic.twitter.com/6TQPwGBoLs— Rəcəb Həsənbəy (@HesenbeyR) July 15, 2020
"The recent provocative action is manifestation of the Armenian attempt to distract the international community and hamper the ongoing negotiation process for peaceful resolution of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict as enshrined in the relevant UN Security Council resolutions," the FO maintained.
Earlier on July 12, Armenia and Azerbaijan traded accusations of launching a military offensive using artillery fire along their shared border, with Baku reporting two troops killed.
Azerbaijan's defence ministry said Armenia's "offensive" from its northern Tavush region was met with a "counterstrike" and retreated. "Two Azerbaijani servicemen were killed and five more wounded," it added.
The two former Soviet republics have been locked in a simmering conflict for decades over Azerbaijan's region of Nagorny Karabakh, which was seized by ethnic-Armenian separatists in a 1990s war that claimed 30,000 lives.
The international community still views the region as part of Azerbaijan.