BR100 Increased By (0.23%)
BR30 Increased By (0.65%)
KSE100 Increased By (0.23%)
KSE30 Increased By (0.17%)
AGHA 7.53 No Change ▼ 0.00 (0%)
BECO 5.17 Increased By ▲ 0.06 (1.17%)
BML 60.50 Increased By ▲ 2.20 (3.77%)
BOP 34.64 Increased By ▲ 0.06 (0.17%)
CNERGY 14.03 Increased By ▲ 0.35 (2.56%)
CSIL 6.35 Increased By ▲ 0.05 (0.79%)
FCCL 57.40 Decreased By ▼ -0.15 (-0.26%)
FFL 16.33 Decreased By ▼ -0.17 (-1.03%)
FNEL 1.19 Decreased By ▼ -0.01 (-0.83%)
KEL 7.34 Decreased By ▼ -0.02 (-0.27%)
KOSM 5.98 No Change ▼ 0.00 (0%)
LOTCHEM 27.75 Increased By ▲ 0.24 (0.87%)
MLCF 102.20 Increased By ▲ 0.27 (0.26%)
NBP 203.65 Increased By ▲ 0.36 (0.18%)
NCPL 61.30 Increased By ▲ 0.83 (1.37%)
NPL 70.24 Increased By ▲ 0.44 (0.63%)
OGDC 319.39 Increased By ▲ 0.91 (0.29%)
PACE 11.10 Decreased By ▼ -0.02 (-0.18%)
PAEL 42.90 Increased By ▲ 0.04 (0.09%)
PIBTL 16.88 Increased By ▲ 0.16 (0.96%)
PPL 233.59 Increased By ▲ 2.97 (1.29%)
PRL 82.98 Increased By ▲ 6.25 (8.15%)
PTC 72.00 Increased By ▲ 0.82 (1.15%)
SSGC 27.13 Increased By ▲ 0.03 (0.11%)
TBL 10.12 Decreased By ▼ -0.16 (-1.56%)
TELE 8.54 Decreased By ▼ -0.02 (-0.23%)
TPL 23.55 Decreased By ▼ -0.04 (-0.17%)
TPLP 15.58 Increased By ▲ 0.13 (0.84%)
TREET 24.29 Decreased By ▼ -0.22 (-0.9%)
TRG 59.68 Decreased By ▼ -0.41 (-0.68%)
Print Print edition: 2010-12-22

Iran quake kills seven, wrecks villages

Published Updated

A 6.5-magnitude earthquake struck south-eastern Iran, wrecking villages, bringing down power lines, and killing up to seven people and injuring hundreds more, Iranian media reported on Tuesday. The late Monday quake, with its epicentre near the town of Hosseinabad in Kerman province, was followed by more than 30 further tremors, including one of 5.0 magnitude, the Mehr news agency said, quoting the geophysics department of Tehran university.
State media reported that mild tremors continued into Tuesday near the epicentre of the main quake. "So far damage has been concentrated in villages in the areas of Sahraj, and seven dead and hundreds of injured have been pulled from the debris," Mehr quoted Kerman governor Esmail Najjar as saying.
"Considering the damage, the death toll is expected to rise," he added. Other Iranian media gave slightly different casualty tolls. The state television website quoted the head of Iran's emergency medical services, Gholam Reza Masoumi, as saying that four people had died. The deputy governor of Kerman province, Javad Kamali, told state television that five people had died and that the death toll could rise.
"Around 30 villages are still cut off as they are in a mountainous region. Our helicopters have been despatched since early morning and we will get a fuller assessment later in the day," Kamali said. The quake struck at 10:12 pm (1842 GMT) on Monday and was felt as far away as the neighbouring province of Sistan-Baluchestan on the Pakistan border.
State media reports said the temblor brought down communication and power lines and wrecked villages around the epicentre of Hosseinabad, many of which consist of mud-brick homes. Nearly two dozen villages were partially or completely destroyed, the reports said, adding that members of the Basij militia had been deployed to help the victims.

Copyright Agence France-Presse, 2010

Comments

Comments are closed for this article.