COVID-19 TOTAL DAILY

KARACHI: The Death toll in rain-related incidents in the city reached 11 as the city received moderate-to-heavy showers for the third consecutive day on Saturday. The people in the city also endured the menace of power failure. The situation was worse in some parts of Orangi Town, Khudadad Colony, Landhi, PECHS, Old City Area and Korangi where people remained without power since Friday night, while Surjani Town, Khuda Ki Basti and some other suburbs have been without power since Thursday when the current spell of rain started.

Meanwhile, Sindh Minister for Information and Local Government Syed Nasir Hussain Shah said that the overall situation in the city was much better than what it had been during previous rains.

Despite the intensity of rain, no flood situation was created anywhere. During the continuous heavy rains in the city, Nasir Hussain Shah regularly visited different areas of the city and continued to give instructions to the local government officers and staff on various issues.

The minister visited various areas of the city, including Nagan Chowrangi, Orangi Town, Liaquatabad and Gujjar Nala, and inspected other relief activities.

Nasir Hussain Shah said that despite heavy rains, thanks to the timely strategy and successful coordination policy of the Sindh government, the condition of the city was much better and different than what it had been in similar occasions in the past.

"I was in constant touch with the chairmen of all the DMCs and also gave orders to the MD of the Water Board to install dewatering machines at specific places," he said.

The provincial minister said that the staff of Water Board, DMCs and the Solid Waste Board had been continuously engaged in public services in all the low-lying areas, choking points and sensitive places.

Nasir Shah said that the places where water had accumulated temporarily were cleared before night.

He appealed to the people to not to go out of their homes unnecessarily and to stay away from electricity poles and electrical appliances.

In a press statement, the K-Electric expressed grief over electrocution incidents in the city which had been reported by the local media during the current monsoon spell.

As a caring corporate entity, KE has been regularly raising precautionary and safety messages about rains for wellbeing of the citizens. The organization however shared its utmost concerns over the 9 electrocution incidents reported between 7th and 8th of August.

All these reported incidents occurred due to damaged non-KE wires, water motors and especially illegal use of Kundas. While sympathizing with the affected families and reiterating that all incidents were equally tragic for the utility, in statement to the media a K-Electric spokesperson clarified that no electrocution happened due to KE's infrastructure.

KE has reiterated that the safety of human life remains the topmost priority of the company and on this account the power utility has been urging citizens to maintain a safe distance from power infrastructure through safety awareness messages.

KE has also written to the Electrical Inspector time and again, latest being as early as June, regarding the safety hazards caused by internal wiring and illegal constructions. Encroachments on KE infrastructure are another major cause of safety related incidents, said the statement.

Copyright Business Recorder, 2020