Print Print edition: 2026-08-17

Goods transporters defer strike for 40 days

Published Updated

KARACHI: Pakistan’s goods transporters on Sunday suspended a nationwide strike after the federal and Sindh governments agreed to address transport sector’s key industry demands, including fuel pricing, toll taxes, parking facilities and axle-load limits.

The nine-day strike was suspended for 40 days following a high-level meeting here at the Governor House on Sunday, chaired by Sindh Governor Syed Muhammad Nihal Hashmi.

Federal Communications Minister Abdul Aleem Khan, Sindh Labour and Social Security Minister Saeed Ghani, Punjab Transport Minister Bilal Akbar, Mayor Karachi Barrister Murtaza Wahab, senior officials and representatives of the Pakistan Goods Transport Alliance attended the meeting.

READ ALSO: Crackdown on road-unfit vehicles: Goods transporters suspend operations at 3 port terminals

Alliance President Malik Shahzad Awan said the decision was taken after authorities heard the transporters’ grievances and gave assurances that several outstanding issues would be addressed.

“We are not ending the strike — we are postponing it,” Awan told reporters at a joint press conference.

He said the government had committed to reviewing toll taxes, addressing parking problems, revisiting petroleum pricing and resolving disputes over axle-load limits. Some issues had already been settled, while others would be taken to the federal cabinet, he added.

Awan said Federal Minister for Communication Abdul Aleem Khan had assured transporters that a committee would be formed to review and reduce toll taxes.

The government had also agreed to move away from daily petroleum-price adjustments towards revisions every 15 days or monthly, he said.

The Sindh government, meanwhile, assured the alliance that the parking problems confronting goods vehicles would be addressed.

Awan warned that the strike could be revived if the government failed to honour its commitments.

The dispute had intensified amid sharp increases in fuel costs and mounting concerns among transport operators over toll charges and frequent petroleum-price revisions.

Transporters had earlier warned that rising operating costs were making it increasingly difficult to keep vehicles on the road.

Speaking after the meeting, Sindh Governor said all stakeholders had been given an opportunity to present their concerns and stressed the need for cooperation in what he described as an “extraordinary” regional situation.

He urged the government and transport industry to resolve outstanding issues through consultation while keeping the national interest at the forefront.

“National unity, mutual cooperation and prioritising the national interest are the need of the hour,” Hashmi said.

He also referred to recent regional diplomatic and security developments. Pakistan was facing economic pressures arising from the wider situation and that political and institutional cooperation was essential. The Governor said Prime Minister Muhammad Shehbaz Sharif and Chief of Army Staff Field Marshal Asim Munir were working to ensure that the benefits of recent developments reached the public.

The suspension provides temporary relief to Pakistan’s freight and supply chains after more than a week of disruption. The transport alliance, however, has made it clear that the 40-day pause is conditional on the implementation of the government’s commitments. The latest agreement follows earlier meetings between the transport alliance and the Sindh government over rising fuel prices, toll taxes and other costs affecting the sector.

Copyright Business Recorder, 2026