England Monday warned all was not "rosy" for Australia despite their crushing Ashes win, with the tourists pledging to take aim at struggling home batsmen in the crucial Melbourne Test. Coach Andy Flower said England would try to exploit Australia's batting weaknesses after captain Ricky Ponting and vice-skipper Michael Clarke both failed again in Perth, along with recalled pair Phil Hughes and Steven Smith.
The low-scoring nature of the WACA match, and Mitchell Johnson's nine wickets, meant the failures went unpunished in Australia's 267-run victory, which left the series poised at 1-1 with two games to play.
But Australia are likely to take four out-of-form batsmen into the next Test at the cavernous Melbourne Cricket Ground starting on Boxing Day. "That is a fair point," Flower said when asked about the poor form of several of the Australian batsmen. "There is no doubt that everything is not rosy in their camp. One Test match does not create that, we realise that. "(Shane) Watson and (Mike) Hussey have been very good for them so far and we will be looking to make the most of that (top order weakness) in the next Test."
Flower said England would specifically revisit their plans for Hussey, who is the top-scorer in the series with 517 runs at an average of 103.40. Australia have relied heavily on Hussey, opener Watson (293 runs at 58.60) and wicketkeeper-batsman Brad Haddin (264 at 52.80).