BR100 5,205 Increased By ▲ 5204.82 (INF%)
BR30 26,756 Increased By ▲ 26756.38 (INF%)
KSE100 47,793 Decreased By ▼ -80.19 (-0.17%)
KSE30 19,161 Decreased By ▼ -31.94 (-0.17%)

Pakistan Deaths
Pakistan Cases
6.32% positivity

BANGKOK: Some 10,000 Thai protesters gathered Thursday in defiance of a sweeping crackdown after authorities moved to crush months of pro-democracy demonstrations by imposing emergency powers and rounding up leading activists.

Protesters chanted "Prayut get out!" and "Free our friends!" as they confronted police at Ratchaprasong, a busy junction in central Bangkok, despite a new decree that bans gatherings of more than four people - aimed at quelling student-led demonstrations.

The government of Prime Minister Prayut Chan-O-Cha, a former army chief who initially took power in a 2014 coup, has been the target of the protesters, but they have also taken aim at Thailand's unassailable monarchy. "You push us into the corner like a dog," one of the few prominent activist leaders not in custody, Panupong "Mike" Jadnok, told the crowd.

"And with our backs against the wall, we'll bite back with nothing to lose," he said.

As night fell, protesters waved their lit-up mobile phones in the air. Thousands sat on plastic sheets on the road snacking on street food while scores more watched from overhead walkways. Many said they would return Friday evening.

After the emergency measures were announced early Thursday, riot police dispersed hundreds of protesters who camped overnight outside the prime minister's office. Later, student leaders took to social media to urge supporters to take to the streets.

Among those who turned out were high school students, who covered the ID tags on their uniforms with duct tape. "I want democracy for my country," said Katherine, a 13-year-old attending her first protest. "I want to be a part of big change."

Police estimated 10,000 people attended the rally. Demonstrators began to disperse at 10 pm local time (1500 GMT). "All of these people who assembled today - their actions are against the law," deputy police spokesman Colonel Kissana Phathanacharoen told AFP. He said it was up to the authorities on who to pursue with legal action.

Three top activists were among nearly two dozen arrested earlier Thursday, including Parit "Penguin" Chiwarak and Panusaya "Rung" Sithijirawattanakul, whose own detention was live-streamed on Facebook. Anon Numpa, another leading activist, said he was forcibly taken by helicopter to Chiang Mai in northern Thailand "without my lawyer".

"This is a violation of my rights and is extremely dangerous to me," he wrote on Facebook.

It was not immediately clear how those arrested were accessing their social media accounts. By evening, Anon and Rung's Facebook profiles appeared to no longer be online.