Inzamam-ul-Haq announced on Wednesday that he will be stepping down from his post of Pakistan cricket chief selector, as he would not seek a contract renewal.
“After more than three years as Chair of the Pakistan Men's Selection Committee, I have decided not to seek a renewal of my contract," said Inzamam, while talking at a presser. The announcement comes after Pakistan ended their World Cup, after failing to make into the semifinals of the tournament.
“With the ICC World Test Championship due to get underway in September, the ICC T20 World Cup in 2020 and the ICC Men's Cricket World Cup 2023, I believe it is the right time for the Pakistan Cricket Board to appoint a new chief selector who can bring new ideas and fresh thinking," he said.
Inzamam said that he had already informed Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Chairman Ehsan Mani and Managing Director Wasim Khan of his decision on Monday. The legendary batsman admitted that the team could have performed better during his tenure as the chief selector.
“The team could have performed better during my time than the results reflect and I may have inadvertently overlooked some potentially deserving players, but I have always had the best interests of Pakistan cricket foremost in my heart. I hope the passionate Pakistan cricket fans will understand and can see this in my decisions," he added.
Players including Fakhar Zaman, Faheem Ashraf, Hasan Ali, Imam-ul-Haq, Mohammad Abbas, Shadab Khan, Shaheen Shah Afridi and Usman Shinwari made their international debuts during Inzamam's tenure, while Babar Azam rose to prominence as Pakistan's batting mainstay across all three formats.
The PCB will be appointing Inzamam's successor in the coming weeks.