The police arrested on Wednesday two employees of a restaurant in Karachi where two minor brothers dined and died a day after from suspected food poisoning.
The restaurant, located in Zamama area, was sealed for forensic investigation last month after two minors died from food poisoning a few hours after they consumed food at the restaurant. According to local media reports, the two employees have been taken into custody on charges of ‘destroying evidence’ and ‘reason to murder’.
Earlier this month, medical reports also revealed that the two minors had died due to food poisoning after consumption of substandard food. The minors, 18-month-old Ahmed and five-year-old Muhammad, had dined at the local eatery along with their family, while afterwards they consumed candy from a shop outside Chunky Monkey. Their mother, Ayesha, was also hospitalised.
Soon after the incident, the police initiated a probe into the matter and sealed the eatery. Following the death of the two brothers, Chief Justice of Pakistan Saqib Nisar took notice of the death. The chief justice also sought a report from Sindh Food Authority and Ministry of National Food Security and Research.