Wednesday, 27 June 2012 12:05
DUBAI: Bahrain has paid out $2.6 million in compensation to the families of 17 people killed in last year's bloody crackdown on Shiite-led pro-democracy protests, a government statement said.
It was the first time the authorities had paid compensation for those who perished when the security forces crushed the February-March 2011 protests, leaving 35 people dead, according to an independent inquiry.
The Tuesday statement said the compensation payments came in response to a recommendation by the Bahrain Independent Commission of Inquiry, set up by King Hamad to probe allegations of government wrong-doing and excessive use of force by the security forces.
"Acting upon recommendations in the (BICI) report that government announced the disbursement of $2.6 million to the families of 17 deceased individuals," the statement said, adding that the "average payout came to just under $153,000 per family."
The payouts were ordered by King Hamad himself and were aimed at addressing "grievances caused by ...