Serbian journeyman David Savic was banned from tennis for life and fined 100,000 dollars on Saturday after being found guilty of match-fixing. The 26-year-old world number 659 becomes the second player this year to suffer the sanction after Austria's Daniel Koellerer, the world 55, was also handed a lifetime ban in May.
The Tennis Integrity Unit (TIU) said Savic, who spent his career on the low-level Future and Challenger tours, had been found guilty on three counts of corruption with the violations taking place in October 2010. "The life ban applies with immediate effect and means that Savic is not eligible to participate in any tournament or competition organised or sanctioned by the governing bodies of professional tennis," said a statement from the TIU. The TIU refused to reveal the full details of the case involving Savic, who reached a career high 363 in 2009.