05272016Fri
Last update: Fri, 27 May 2016 03pm

General News: Pakistan

Archive: 

The Institute of Business Management (IBM) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with The Citizens Foundation (TCF) on Thursday, according to IBM's Public Affairs Section. IBM and TCF have agreed to jointly collaborate to facilitate the admission of meritorious TCF Alumni in the Institute. This will ensure the maximum amount of efforts are put in every year to help prepare a good number of meritorious TCF Alumni's for admission in IBM's various undergraduate programs.
Despite the recent focus of the federal and provincial governments on enrolment drives as a rhetoric on Article 25-A, 24 percent of Sindh's children aged 6-16 still remain out of school, according to the Annual Status of Education Report -ASER 2015 Sindh Survey. The remaining 76 percent that are enrolled in the 6-16 age bracket are not learning much either.
According to IESCO spokesman, due to electricity maintenance/development work the power supply of the following feeders/grid stations would remain suspended as under:
A committee of parliamentarians will investigate how a billion of rupees non-transferable plot of land leased out to the Institute of Policy Studies (IPS), a think tank, was illegally sold to a private builder. Public Accounts Committee (PAC) on Thursday constituted a committee which will hold an inquiry to ascertain how "undue favours" were extended to former Jamaat-e-Islami Senator Professor Khurshid Ahmed, the head of IPS. The committee will finalise its report within 15 days.
Pakistan's third Decent Work Country Programme (DWCP III) was signed on Thursday to promote decent work in rural economy, job creation for youth and vulnerable groups and extending social protection floors. The International Labour Organisation's tripartite constituents, the government of Pakistan, the employers' and the workers' organisations signed it here at a ceremony convened by the Ministry of Overseas Pakistanis and Human Resource Development.
Expressing concern over delay in issuance of salaries, employees of Workers Welfare Board (WWB) warned that they would start agitation campaign if the payment was not cleared till next month.
Three-day annual Urs celebrations of great Sufi saint Hazrat Laal Shahbaz Qalandar started on Thursday with traditional enthusiasm. Governor Sindh Dr Ishrat ul Ebad Khan along with Adviser to CM Sindh for Auqaf Abdul Qayyum Soomro formally inaugurated the Urs celebrations by laying Chadar (wreath) and offering Fateha. They also prayed for peace, prosperity and progress of Pakistan.