The laddu, a ball-shaped sweetmeat, is a popular item for celebratory occasions. That it would kill a score and may take more lives was beyond anyone's wildest imagination in Chak 105ML, Layyah. The head of the farming family had ordered five kilos of laddu for a nearby town for distribution to celebrate the birth of his grandson. Within minutes of eating that sweetmeat men and women started falling. Among the fatalities is the newborn's father, his six uncles and many others from the family and the neighbourhood. The sweetmeat was mixed with pesticide as it was also shifted to the sweetmeat shop as the herbicide store was being renovated. The shopkeeper's attendant is said to have acknowledged that he accidentally mixed the pesticide into the sweetmeat. Indeed, fate is a hunter and death creeps through tightly shut doors. But is it something, anything, which could have averted this incidence of mass-poisoning? Yes, the herbicide should not have been shifted to the sweetmeat shop. The attendant should have taken due care while making the laddu. The health officials are reported to have observed that a 'poisonous substance namely selfonyle was found in the sweetmeat which was lethal'. In the aftermath of the grim tragedy, the sick have been shifted to hospitals and are being looked after, and the Punjab Food Minister Bilal Yaseen has given a cheque of Rs 500,000 to each victim's family. And as expected, the opposition has demanded a judicial commission to investigate the incident, otherwise it would stage a sit-in outside the Punjab Assembly building.