DIAMER: Terrorists stormed the base-camp of Nanga Parbat in the scenic Himalayan valley of Bunar Das and killed nine foreign climbers along with a Pakistani guide and cook, local administration and police sources said on Sunday.
The incident took place on Saturday midnight and the first information was received at Chilas, headquarters of the District Diamer, in the wee hours, said Deputy Inspector General Police Ali Sher (Gilgit Range).
He said police parties were dispatched to the site, but the terrorists had escaped.
This was apparently a terrorist act and the police were investigating motives behind it. However, the preliminary investigation showed that it was part of the terrorism affecting different areas of the country, he added.
He said topography of the area was very rough and difficult.
Deputy Inspector General Police Ehsan Tufail said that the huge deployment had been made at all points to ascertain and trace the departure route of the terrorists.
He said they abducted two guides and reached the area. One guide was killed in the shoot-out, while the other was alive, "He is now under detention and is being questioned."
Banat Gul, a police official at control room, said the area where the incident occurred, was known as Diamori and at a distance of two days track from Chilas as there was no road link.
He said the police party, headed for the investigation, would take at least two days to come back.
He said the climbers were staying at a first camp, around 4,200 feet from Nanga Parbat, one of the highest mountains in the world, in the Diamer district of Gilgit-Baltistan.
He said the police were making allout efforts in this regard.
Deputy Commissioner Gilgit Shahbaz Nadeem Bhatti said the bodies were transported in an Army Aviation helicopter from Chilas and handed over to the Gilgit Administration.
He said top military officer of Gilgit-Baltistan Major General Hafiz Masroor Ahmed was the first official who reached the site of incident.
He said the 11th body had also been identified which was a local chef while one Chinese national survived and was safely shifted to hospital.
He said all the bodies of foreigners were sent to Islamabad on C-130.
He said the security of tourists in Gilgit had been enhanced by increasing patrolling around their residences while search of hotels and deployment of plain clothes men had also been ensured.
The Deputy Commissioner Gilgit said said the government was looking for the tour operator, who managed the expedition and gathering all relevant information.