ISLAMABAD: The Supreme Court on Monday set a three-day deadline for the Sindh Police to arrest Shahrukh Jatoi, the main accused in Shahzaib Jatoi's murder case, warning that in case of failure, Inspector General Police as head of the force, would have to face the legal consequences.
A three-Judge bench headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry issued directive on a suo motu regarding murder case of a 20-year old youth in Karachi.
The bench expressing its displeasure over the performance of police officials, said that it had already given sufficient time to them but the police investigation absolutely showed no progress.
The bench in its order observed that the police negligence was causing hurdles in the arrest of accused.
About the stance of Inspector General police Sindh Fayyaz Leghari about Shahruksh's escape to United Arab Emirates, the bench observed that earlier, Additional Inspector General of Police Rafique Hussain had informed that he had not left the country.
The bench in its order said that the stance taken by the police officials were contradictory but it was not sure whether it was correct or otherwise.
The bench regretted that the accused should have been dealt strictly in accordance with laws, but a space was given to him.
The bench also directed its office to hand over a letter of Sikandar Jatoi expressing his concerns over police treatment, to IG police to further probe into the matter.
Earlier during proceedings, IG police Fayyaz Leghari appeared and apprised the bench that they had arrested three accused including Sikandar Jatoi.
He said that the main accused Shahrukh Jatoi had fled to UAE.
The Chief Justice observed that it had become a test case for the police force especially in view of the Karachi situation. "Space has been provided to accused. It is an acme of high handedness of police," he added.
Justice Gulzar Ahmed remarked that there was no verification of the documents stating that Shahrukh had left the country.
Advocate General Sindh Abdul Fatah Malik drew attention of the bench towards sealing of cement factories owned by the accused.
The CJ said that credit for highlighting the case must go to media and questioned IG police what action he had taken against his DIG for showing negligence.
He reminded the provincial police chief that unless he proved his authority, nobody would abide by.
The IG Police requested for fifteen days time but the Chief Justice declined his plea by saying that they had already given them enough time.
"Produce him tomorrow, otherwise, we will take action. You should decide about your future as you will be held personally responsible for the whole episode," he told Leghari, adding that he should recollect Sarfraz's murder case.
Further hearing was adjourned till January 10.